Fluid Painting Medium
Relative Opacity: Opaque
- Increases the volume of paint, while maintaining the opacity of the colour it is mixed into.
- Economically doubles the volume of paint by adding up to an equal amount (50%) of medium to colour with little or no noticeable loss in opacity or change in hue.
- The opacity of colours mixed with Liquitex Ultra Matte Medium will be higher than if the colour had been thinned to the same degree with any other medium except Modeling Paste.
- The degree to which the colour can be extended will vary among the different pigments.
- When over 50% is added, Liquitex Ultra Matte Medium can act as a weak tinting white, increasing the value of the original colour approximately one level. Light colours will be affected less than dark colours.
- Colours mixed with Liquitex Ultra Matte Medium dry to a matte finish.
Application as Gouache
- Mix with opaque paint for a matte sheen and gouache (opaque watercolour) look.
- These "gouache" colours are water resistant, flexible, lightfast and permanent when dry. Traditional gouache colours are not permanent and are susceptible to accidental re-wetting and must be well protected when finished.
Applications in Murals
- Mix into Liquitex Soft Body Artist Color for underpainting of murals to economically double the volume of paint. For top layers, use colour with a lightfastness rating of I.
Use when running out of colour during painting
- Use when running out of a colour mixture while painting. When you have reached the halfway point of painting a specific area, determine if you have enough paint to finish. If not, add an equal amount of Liquitex Ultra Matte Medium to the colour enabling you to finish painting without remixing. The colour and opacity will be unchanged, but the colour may lighten
- Mix into the paint during initial underpainting to double the amount of colour.